Reading Ladders

September Reading:

Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn (incomplete)

Rating:

(rated out of 5 stars)

I began this book thinking that it would interest me. In fact, I was quite into it until I began to lose interest. I feel as if this book wasn’t for me. I usually like softer adventurous stories where there is the main theme of adventure, but also more genres under the main theme such as romance, comedy, horror, etc. This one was more towards thriller, which is more specifically related to the theme of adventure. I only got through the first fifty to sixty pages which is why I do not know much of what happened in the book. All I know from this book is that there was a happy couple, Nick and Amy, who were to celebrate their fifth anniversary until Amy went missing. Nick was at work when he got a phone call from his neighbor saying that someone has broken into his house as the front door is open and the inside of the house looks messy. Nick rushes from work to find out that his wife had gone missing on the day of their fifth anniversary. After reading a few pages of this incident, I honestly got too lazy to read the next part because I could feel that I had lost interest because the story wasn’t progressing much after Amy goes missing, so I returned the book

Other than that, I haven’t gotten much reading done this month, so I do want to ind new books that interest me so that I have a longer reading ladder for next month! Reading helps to improve and broaden an individuals knowledge in many forms, so by reading, I want to broaden my own knowledge and learn new things.

Calculations:

Pages read- 57

Pages read per day- 1.9

Pages read per week- 14.25

October Reading:

The Hate U Give- Angie Thomas (in-progress)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

(rated out of 5 stars)

Born to Love, Cursed to Feel- Samantha King (complete)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

(rated out of 5 stars)

House Made of Rain- Pamela Porter (incomplete)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

(rated out of 5 stars)

The Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid- Jeff Kinney (complete)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

(rated out of 5 stars)

Calculations:

Pages read- 288

Pages read per day- 9.3

Pages read per week- 72

November Reading 

A Thousand Splendid Suns- Khaled Hosseini (complete)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

(rated out of 5 stars)

Calculations:

Pages read- 372

Pages read per day- 12

Pages read per week- 93

December Reading

And the Mountains Echoed- Khaled Hosseini (Incomplete)

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

(rated out of 5 stars)

Calculations:

Pages read- 53

Pages read per day- 1.7

Pages read per week- 13.25

January Reading

Unfortunately, I was not able to get any reading done this month because of exam stress and the amount of diploma preps I had to be at on the weekends. The end of the semester just puts on a lot of stress for grade 12’s as there are still assessments going on for many classes finishing up the curriculum ultimately putting an assessment on each day of January. Due to being completely absorbed into my noted for math, chemistry and social, I was not quite able to focus on any reading. Any free time I would get this month, I spent with my family and friends because I was barely able to hang out with them this month. I do intend to start reading again after I am done all my diplomas this month.

Overall Reflection

I feel as if my reading varies month by month. It’s not so consistent; there will be a month where I will read a lot, but then there will be another month where I will not be able to get as much reading done. I personally believe that this is the factor that brings down my English class marks. In the beginning, when there isn’t much stress, I am able to get lots of reading done therefore am able to respond to prevalent themes and ideas in class, but once I stop reading, I am not able to do as well, therefore my mark drops and I suffer the sadness. This is definitely a goal that I intend to set again for next semester. My goal was to read at least 5 pages of any book per day at a consistent effort which I was not able to reach this semester. I want to set this goal again for next semester. In the upcoming semester, I want to manage my time better so that I actually find the time to enjoy the leisure of reading.